The advancement in technologies has leveraged the internet for development in every sector. The earlier healthcare sector was regarded a strict for the change, But now it is striding forward with all the technologies and developments. Healthcare IT is expanding its services to improve efficiency by extending healthcare services and reaching more patients. With the increasing healthcare systems, there is a pool of mobile health services applications in the market. With the abundance of apps, the chances of fraud and breach of data and loss have also increased. To counter the problem of authentication of the apps and safeguarding the interest of users HIPAA act has been constituted. All telemedicine app development solutions have to be in compliance with HIPAA regulations.
Importance of HIPAA
HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It was enacted to protect the personal data of patients from theft and fraud. In the coming future, the number of applications is going to increase and flooding the healthcare market. Healthcare apps are sensitive to the patient data containing health records and history of patients. The implications of HIPAA regulations are very necessary in the development of healthcare apps for expanding the industry and bringing positive changes. HIPAA compliances add credibility to the applications and the healthcare provider.
All healthcare companies are bound to follow HIPAA standards. In case the companies fail to comply with all the regulations and standard, there are consequences for the same. In order to avoid all the repercussions, it is necessary to abide by all the standards and rules.
HIPAA rules and standards:
Mainly HIPAA rules are divided into the following categories.
- HIPAA Privacy Rules: This rule is commissioned for the security and privacy of the healthcare information with the healthcare companies and insurance companies. It is considered to be the most complex HIPAA rule and determine how controlled protected health information should be.
- HIPAA Security Rule: This rule is enacted for the protection of electronic health records. It deals just with the electronic records of the healthcare information. It deals with the technical aspects of the information. It primarily deals with the 3 aspects
Administrative security – it is the assigning the security responsibility to the individual.
Physical security – It is for the security of electronic equipment, tools, and data.
Technical security – it is for authentication and encryption of data.
- HIPAA transactions and Code set Rule: This rule deals with all the electronic transactions and communications in the healthcare industry.
- HIPAA Unique Identifiers Rule: The unique identifiers are defined as utilized to cover the entities in the HIPAA transactions. It is used for standardization and increasing efficiency.
- HIPAA enforcement Rule: This rule deals with the penalties and fines in case of violations.
- HIPAA Breach notification Rule: It directs that the organization has to give 60 days’ notice for the breaches.
- HIPAA Final Omnibus rules: This rule is laid down for the clarification of the provisions related to HIPAA security, privacy, and breach rules.
Points to keep in mind for all the telemedicine app developers
There is a complete checklist for the mobile app developers for the compliance of the rules in the course of development.
- Assistance with the specialist: The healthcare developers are not well -versed with all the HIPAA regulations and rules to follow in the development process. The company needs to assure that there are experts who can be qualified to develop healthcare apps. It is crucial for the developers to assist as a specialist individual with all the knowledge of HIPAA rules and along with other regulations.
- Security in data storage and transmission: The developers have to ensure the safety of data in the process of storage and transmissions. It has to make sure that there is no data share this is not encrypted.
- Secure application: In order for the enhanced security, the app can be featured with the session time out feature; there is no activity for a long time. There should be restricted use of Push Notifications. The developers should consider all the scenarios for security breaches and data leaks.
- Security assessment of application: Before the deployment of applications, The developers should do a rigorous security assessment of the healthcare applications. There should be a security test at various stages to assess the security of the app.
The HIPAA rule and regulations should not be taken lightly by the developers. There are serious repercussions in case of breach of regulations and in any non-compliance. The mhealth applications ensure the safety of the patient health information and health-related data of the patients. A HIPAA compliant mhealth app is efficient and delivers positive outcomes in the market.